This blog is brought to you by...

My photo
June is an artist, writer, speaker and advocate for self-empowerment. In 1999, illness overcame her life. During her unwavering search for physical wellness, she stumbled upon the subject of emotional wellness. This discovery led her down a path of self-empowerment for which she will always be grateful. It opened the doorway to her heart. As a result, she has spent a great deal of the past fourteen years focusing on personal growth and self-help. June’s mission is to share what she has learned with other people to support them on their wondrous and sometimes rocky journey. She conducts workshops, writes and paints to share her passion and wisdom with her fellow advocates for self-empowerment.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Internally Grateful Weekly Newsletter, Your Self-portrait

Your Self-portrait
Action for the week:
It is a rather unique and strange experience to paint or create a portrait of yourself. I did one this past week. I am hoping it will be selected for a show comprised of self-portraits. Since I like a challenge, and the last time that I did one was many years ago in high school, I thought that this would be a good growth opportunity for me as an artist and spiritually.   

The first thoughts that came to mind were that I wanted the painting to look like me (be realistic in part) and that it must appear joyful; be colorful and give off a feel-good vibe. I added golden mica chips (they are very sparkly for the little girl in me) and some bits of gold dotted paper. I added swirls of color and texture, and some wings. I also took an old key and put it on a ribbon, and hung it on the painting as a necklace.

All of these elements represent me in some way or form. The wings represent that we all have a spiritual side, that we can expand our reality and rise above the fray. The key represents that we have everything that we need, that we have the key to our own growth and spirituality. I am extremely grateful that I know this to be true, firsthand.

The content of my portrait wasn't a big surprise to me, however, it made a statement about me. One that I needed to see a bit more clearly. I see what is influencing me and where I am heading. I am happy to say that I like what I created. And, you know what, perhaps that is the most satisfying statement of all. I am happy with what I have created...I am happy with myself. 

Take some time to create your own portrait. You can do it in your mind's eye, on paper, canvas, or in whatever way you like. The medium and style is your choice. Be imaginative and non-judgmental. Let your creative side take over.

  • What elements would be in your portrait?
  • Why did you pick those elements?
  • Why are they important to you?
  • How would your present yourself to the world?
  • What colors would you use?
  • What feelings would your portrait convey and illustrate?
  • How do you see yourself and where are you heading?
  • What style and medium would you use and why?


I hope that you take some time to at least think this over. Seriously consider creating a picture. You don't have to show it to anyone, you can keep it to yourself. It will provide you with some insight and build awareness. Allow yourself to explore another avenue of self-empowerment. Develop your self-awareness and insight through creativity.
  Freedom
  
Thoughts for the week:


Be open to seeing yourself as
an expansive being,
not the small version that
you think yourself to be.

No comments: